Wednesday, September 9, 2009

And...SHE'S OFF!---First Day!

(this is just the 'castle' part, as I like to call it, the rest of the university is not like this. and i have no classes inside this building *sniff* I think its just offices...)
WOW! I had a pretty great first day of class :D
So I took the 18 bus, all went well, got off across the Concert hall and waited for the 11 bus, and when it got there, oh boy...It was packed! We were squished in there like sardines, I barely was able to get on! I saw Kiven Voth (very much squished) sitting infront of the yellow-strip doors, couldn't talk to him until people started filing out and the bus emptied slowly.
I found my Economics class very easily (it's actually not really confusing to get around the UoW) and waited outside for about 15 minuntes. I met a girl who was waiting for her french class, we chatted a bit, found out she's from Ontrario, though I realized after the fact: I never got her name :P
Students started going inside the classroom early, I got a central-third row seat. The class quickly filled up, desks were the first to run out, then the last girl came and had no chair, but found a stool to sit on. We were a little over 60 kids I think. Then our teacher walks in, this little chinese lady, whose name escapes me at the moment,  she's pretty cute, after you get over her strong accent and the fact that she might have a cold or something, because she regularly made some throat-clearning sound that was distasteful until you got used to it.

Then I had close to two hours of spare, so I went to get my student ID, the line took about an hour (when I was third in line, they ran out of cards and took forever to get more packages) and then I went around looking for familiar faces, almost right away I found Cam, Colin, and Devon who were standing in Centenial Hall looking for Shane. Typical :P. After Shane was found the guys went outside, probably to eat out or something, I don't know because I didn't go with them. I decided to go for one more shot at finding someone to eat lunch with, turned out unsuccessful, but I ate my lunch out on the grass in peace, typed up my Economics Micro notes on my lap top and mozied down to Ancient Greeks (though I was quite early). But I got stopped by a lady who asked "Do you know you blood type?" And it's something I've been wanting to know so I went over to a station they had set up and got my blood tested. Turns out I'm an O+, I'm almost the universal donor, I can give to all positive blood types! So I booked my appointment to donate on Monday :)

ANYWAYS!...I've been dying to get to this part! My Intro Ancient Greeks Class! When I saw this part summer that my teacher's name for this course was Mr. Gibbs, I thought 'heh, sounds like a british bloke, he must be of British decent' then low and behold, when he walks into the room, 5"7-ish, blond curly hair, somewhat red-faced, and he opens his mouth, and turns out he IS full out British! [actually WELSH as I discovered later, not British! ] Loves to drink and watch soccer. Oh Jolly! But no, really, he's great and I fell in love with him! Not romantically of course, ew, but he is in the top three of my favorite teachers :) He cracks jokes either about himself, students or 'stupid' people. And I love how he says it too, 'such stuupid peiple!' He got his doctrate in Oxford, which I think is sweet. What is he doing here in Canada's middle of nowhere (well, actually that would be Regina, harhar), not sure, but I know he married a Canadian woman, so he probably won't be going back any time soon. Not to mention he doesn't get along well with his parents...Lovely guy, really wonderful :) He really knows how to crack the ice and get us out of our 'awkwardness' and just relax.

This post took me three days to write, sad I know, but it really took that time to let everything sink in, because it's been happening so fast I could hardly keep my mind going straight. What I can say now, is that I love university and my professors. I love how they may lecture, but they really enourage classroom discussion and ask students questions. Unlike two of my highchool teachers (who I shall not mention) who thought that by lecturing us would prove how much THEY knew. Granted, one would get a little class discussion or answers, but was an a**. Really, there's no nice way of putting it and I will not sugar coat it. The other teacher was so distant he would get offended when a student asked anything about his personal life, and he never asked for our own interpretations, nor asked us questions to see how well we understood and followed along. And you won't believe how worried I was that University would be like that, that my teachers would just be lecturers and I would sit in class all day just jotting down notes, pretending I shared the same opinions as them. So in that sense I'm overly relieved!

I shall post about my second day...later.

No comments:

Post a Comment