Monday, September 19, 2011

Pretty much just 5 more days...

I've already said good-bye to the people I see at church. This is it. Just a few more people to say good-bye to before I'm up and away.

It's frightening really...I'm not so scared of what lies out there, at least I'm not scared of getting hurt or of something terrible happening. Call it being naive or faith in God, but when it comes to traveling He's always made his presence and guidance felt. So other than the general fear of the unknown, what scares me the most (if you can call it a fear) is leaving my comfort zone.

My cozy bed, my mom's bright smile, my father's arms, my brother's laughter, Cleo's soft fur, Sonny's face, my sister's fighting, Justin's dancing, grandma's cooking. Our movie nights, our addiction to CLUE, the Sunday brunch while listening to music that is usually too loud. Our gluttonous Thanksgivings, Christmas and New Year's feasts. When Amber learns something new, when Tia does something kind, when Justin speaks in sentences, when Abby is truly happy, when Artiom talks about science. These are the things that I will miss while in France and will have no way of having until I come back.

But I WILL be coming back home. The question is, what will be in France/Europe that I will then miss when I return home? Things that I should try to indulge in and experience while I can, because there's no guarantee that I will come back any time soon. So I've made a list, a To-Do list if you may, of what I should do, see and eat while in France and Europe.


1) Walk with a baguette sticking out of my purse to eat while exploring Beauvais
2) Go to the top of the Eiffel Tower
3) While in rural areas, take a picture ANYTIME I see sheep!
4) Spend enough time in the Louvre to see the entire museum (even if it means coming more than once!)
5) Go to the Palace of Versailles (try to dress up in a dress that day)
6) Try new cheeses!
7) Attempt to drink French wine for lunch or dinner one day
8) If possible, use the Bike-Taxi system at least once!
9) Ask a British royal guard if the Queen is in (Buckingham Palace) today?
10) See L'Arc de Triomphe
11) Find and explore ancient Roman ruins in France
12) Go to 7 Castles or more, doesn't matter what countries they're from
13) Investigate different phone box booths, asking for the Doctor
14) Dance on London Bridge
15) Sing Ave Maria in Notre Dame (if allowed) - make sure I practice before hand
17) Go to the Bell Tower of Notre Dame if possible!
18) Chartres Cathedral. Enough said!
19) Find a big hill in Scotland, climb it, and yell "FREEDOM!!!" from the top
20) Sit at the top level of a double decker bus!
21) Perfect a type of English accent and speak in it all day for one entire day while in British Isles
22) If I can't find a Nun in traditional clothing, find a large picture/poster of it and take a picture with it
23) Go to a Doctor Who museum. I haven't googled to see if there is one, but I bet there is!
24) If possible go to France's neighboring countries: Spain, Belgium, Brussels, Italy, etc.
25) Take pictures with statues of famous historical people, even if I don't have a clue who they are.

Well that's all that I can think of for now, I will probably add to this when I arrive in France as I find out more things to do.

~ Cheers and keep in touch!

2 comments:

  1. My biggest fear is also leaving my comfort zone, but I still try to stay positive and remember that I'm finally going to get to travel! I like your to-do list... maybe I should make one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should! It's really fun, helps you get psyched and gives you a feeling of accomplishment when you get to check things off. I'd love to see your list :D

    ReplyDelete